Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Experiencing Biennale Then and Now


I remember the first time I went to the Singapore Biennale was in 2006 when I just started my journey in the art praxis back in Lasalle during the days when I perceived art as pertaining to the sense of beauty more than its motif.
The Biennale has always been an event that I anticipate because of the amazing visual artworks of artists around the globe on their response to the topic. The most fascinating part was to be able to participate in the interactive art.

One of the 2013 Singapore Biennale's I visited was at the National Museum of Singapore where Ken and Julia Yonetani's Crystal Palace where they exhibited their 31 chandeliers in response to the Fukushima nuclear incident in 2011. It was an amazing feel to be there to admire and analyse the theory behind the beauty of it.
As I grow learning and practicing art, I find that art is not only about aesthetics but its motive and message that it has to reach to its audience to engage them to take a step back and take a look at the world from different aspects of life.
 
- Aishah Arin(aka Kiki)



Creative Commons Licence
Photo of Crystal Palace by Ken + Julia Yonetani @ Singapore Biennale 2013 by Aishah Arin is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment